If you have ever had, or currently have sensitive teeth, you understand that they can be quite bothersome and uncomfortable. Your teeth will feel most sensitive when eating certain foods, drinking certain beverages, when brushing, or when flossing.
Wondering why you may be experiencing tooth sensitivity?
(1) Are you brushing with too much force? Are the bristles of your toothbrush too firm? This can actually wear down protective layers and lead to exposed dental nerves. Opt instead to use an extra soft toothbrush and be more gentle.
(2) Do your teeth have excessive plaque? This can actually wear down the enamel on your teeth. Ensure to visit your dentist every six months for a professional cleaning.
(3) Are you consuming too many acidic foods? The pathways to your nerves can end up getting exposed, which causes pain.
(4) Do you have gum disease or gingivitis? A sign of this may be if your gums bleed when you brush and floss. The good news is that your dentist can treat this.
(5) Do you grind your teeth while you sleep? This can wear down the enamel, which may end up exposing the dentin that leads to your nerves. Talk to your dentist about getting a mouthguard for protection at night.
(6) Do you have chipped or cracked teeth? Ask your dentist as to what the options are in terms of getting this repaired. Dental implants may be the best solution if you wish to replace your tooth completely.
(7) Are you using a whitening toothpaste? There is a chance that your teeth may be overly sensitive to the whitening chemicals. Perhaps try changing the brand of toothpaste that you are using or talk to your dentist about professional teeth whitening.
(8) Do your fillings need to be replaced? If your fillings are weak, this gives bacteria a chance to accumulate…which leads to acid build-up and the breakdown of enamel.
If you have sensitive teeth, it is treatable! Just make an appointment with your dentist so that they can get to the bottom of why this problem is occurring. The sooner you see your dentist, the sooner you will not have to suffer from tooth sensitivity.
If you are in the Mission, Maple Ridge, Abbotsford, Chilliwack, Langley areas, call us today!